February 13, 2020
Updated on February 18, 2021
This geyser timer solution is very popular in South Africa as it enables you to heat up your geyser at different times during the week and weekends. You can schedule it to heat up your water between 4 and 6 in the morning, Monday to Friday, for example. You can also schedule it to use the excess electricity from your solar panels between 12 and 2pm if your geyser is connected to your inverter.
The Geyserwise TSE is an intelligent and programmable geyser timer kit that can be used on a regular electric geyser or a thermosyphon solar geyser. It provides full control over your geyser, scheduling when your geyser should heat up water to what temperature. The kit consists of a controller, an electronic thermostat, and a programmable timer for electric or solar geysers. It is the most popular geyser timer solution in South Africa at this point in time.
Benefits of the Gesyerwise TSE Controller Kit
- Provides clear readings of water temperature, time, day, heating mode & malfunction conditions
- Water can be heated automatically or manually
- Simply set up to 4 different temperature settings between 30°C & 65°C (factory setting of 55°C)
- Programmable timer with 4 x time slots setting that can be set separately for week days and weekends
- Equipped with a mechanical thermal cut out at 90°C & notifies you of error conditions
Why install a Geyserwise TSE Geyser Controller Kit?
- It is a simple geyser timer that you can install yourself
- A geyser timer saves you electricity because you can control the time that the geyser goes on and off, as opposed to a regular geyser that runs all day!
- It saves you money in the long run, up to 30% every month
- The same amount of energy is used to heat up the water, BUT you are able to minimise the amount of energy lost while maintaining water at 55°C or more all day long
- A timer makes it possible to combine your electric geyser with a solar panel system
It is advised that you consult an electrician to install the timer. If you decide to install it yourself, you must make sure that you know what you are doing and that it doesn't void your house insurance.
What you will need
Parts that are supplied:
- 1 x control box
- 1 x electronic thermostat
- 1 x programmable timer
Parts that are not supplied:
- Screwdriver & screws
- Power drill
- 2.5mm Twin & Earth (T&E) wire (unless your geyser already has one)
How to install a Geyserwise TSE Geyser Controller Kit: the steps
Step 1: Apply all safety measures
Before the installation, it is important that you:
- Switch off the circuit breaker of the geyser at the main DB (distribution board). This ensures there is no power supply to the geyser
- Switch off the isolator switch
- Test with a multimeter to ensure that there is no current on the wires. It is very important that there is no reading on the multimeter!
Step 2: Install the control box
- Find a dry place near the isolator switch. The control box must not be exposed to the elements
Step 3: Install the display unit
Find the best route to get the display unit cable to the control box
Mount the bracket to the wall and clip on the display unit
- The display unit must be installed in a location that is accessible to the end user, but not in reach of children
- Draw the display unit cable from the unit to the control box
- Plug it into the three-pin plug as provided on the control box
The standard display cable of 5m is supplied. A maximum extension of 20m is recommended. Only use Geyserwise extention cables for extensions!
Step 4: Remove existing thermostat & replace with new supplied thermostat
- Remove the existing thermostat by disconnecting all the wires on the connector terminal block of the thermostat
- Pull the thermostat out of the pocket. Please note that certain types of geysers require the user to remove the front part of the geyser temperature probe as provided
- Insert the new geyser temperature probe and connect the live wires once again on the connector terminal block
- Push the plug connected to the geyser temperature probe through the hole on the lid of they geyser. Plug it into the dedicated plug as provided on the control unit
Step 5. Complete all electrical connections
The hard wiring of a controller is critical! The main power supply is provided from the isolator switch. The red wire is your Live wire; the black wire is your Neutral, and the other wire provided is your Earth.
Connect the wire from isolator to controller
- To make an entry into the control box, simply remove the knock out at the bottom of the unit
- Insert the glands onto the bottom of the control box
- Carefully cut and expose the wires
- Connect Live and Neutral to the corresponding units. Ensure that the wires are properly fastened as they are drawing a large current. Loose connections can damage the connector block
- Connect Earth wire to the corresponding units
Connect the wire from geyser to controller
- To connect the wire from the geyser to the controller, expose and cut the wires of a 2.5mm T & E (if your geyser does not already have this wire)
- Connect Live, Neutral and Earth wire to the corresponding units. Ensure that the wires are properly fastened as they are drawing a large current. Loose connections can damage the connector block
- Connect the control box cables to the thermostat
- Replace the cover of geyser to protect the electrics
- Replace the lid on the control box and fasten properly. Before you replace the lid it is important to do a final check on the electrics by comparing it to the wiring as indicated on the lid
Switch on the main supply at the DB board, and then switch on the power at the isolator switch.
Step 6. Set up the controller & all settings
The display is the feedback mechanism and allows you to see the geyser temperature, the time, day of the week, the element indicator, timers indicator and error messages.
Adjusting the day of the week
Press the green set button until the day of the week flashes. Adjust the day of the week by using the ^ and v arrow buttons. To set, leave it until it goes off.
Adjusting the real time clock
Press the green set button until the time flashes. Set the hours. Press the green set button immediately after setting the hours to get to the minute counter. Then set the minutes by using the ^ and v arrow keys.
Maximum temperature settings
There are 4 maximum temperature settings. It is important to note that these settings apply to the 4 quarters of the day and not to the set times that the elements must come on.
To adjust, press the green set button until the first block temperature setting is displayed. The temperature will be flashing and the number of the block will be displayed in the timer indicator block. Set the temperature per block by using the ^ and v arrow keys.
Setting geyser element timers
There are 4 on/off timers that can be set with the Geyserwise. Note that you can set different timers for the weekend.
- Press the green set button until the timer indicators and Monday to Friday flashes
- Adjust the hours by using the ^ and v buttons. Immediately press the green set button again to get to the minutes and use the ^ and v buttons to adjust the minutes
- To set the number 1 off timer, press the green set button until the timer indicators and Monday to Friday flashes
- To get to the weekend timer setting press the green set button until the timer indicators and Saturday and Sunday flashes
- Adjust the hours you require by using the ^ and v buttons. Immediately press the green set button again to get to the minutes and use the ^ and v buttons to adjust the minutes
- Follow the same steps as above for timer 2, 3 and 4
If you do not want the geyser to come on for the 3rd part of the day, it must display lines, not zero, as zero will be midnight.
Press the red power button to bypass the system in order for the geyser to heat up when you desire. To turn off, press the same button. Please note, your water will not be warm immediately, the time depends on the size of your geyser.
- Collection of Geyserwise products recommended by EcoDepot
- Geyserwise TSE Geyser Controller Kit
- Watch: How to install a Geyserwise TSE Geyser Controller Kit